I have a problem. And I want to talk about it.
You probably can’t solve this problem. You won’t be able to give me advice that can fix it.
But we should still talk, because talking is helpful even if the problem remains.
1. Talking is cathartic: When a problem is bottled up inside, it can bounce around in my head and drive me crazy. Unloading my heart & head creates a much needed pressure release.
2. Talking brings clarity: Talking helps articulate my struggle & my thoughts. I can process them and put them into words. And with questions or observations from an outside perspective, it can help shine a light on the reality of my situation.
3. Talking shows that someone cares: When someone demonstrates a willingness to listen even when it’s awkward or uncomfortable, I feel valued.
4. Talking is a step forward: Rather than just letting my thoughts paralyse me, talking sets me in motion to start dealing with the problem. In some cases, it may be the first time I admit there is a problem.
5. Sharing struggles builds bonds: When you share your vulnerabilities with your friends, it deepens the connection between the two of you.
And who knows, you may even say something that will help bring a solution to my problem. But even if you don’t, you’ve done many helpful things.
For more on talking to people who are grieving, check out this article.
How are you with the basics of conversation? Test yourself with this check list.
Is Carpe Diem a load of crap?
Try these conversation starters with your Valentines date.
It’s important to tell people how meaningful they are. So why do we avoid being sentimental?
Does your attitude to conversation result in people reflecting on your words long after you’ve said them? Or do you just make disposable chit-chat?
The best of the best Awkward Silence articles of 2018.
Stop looking for the perfect Christmas gift. You already have it and it won’t cost you a cent.
In conversation, it’s important to be interesting. Our two word tip is crucial in achieving that.
Sometimes improving your relationship is as simple as asking.
Do you act like the world has it in for you? Is every little thing that goes wrong a sign that the universe is conspiring you?