You can see & talk to people all the time without really knowing them.
Perhaps you see them at work daily & have hollow conversations about weather & sport. Perhaps they are relatives you see at weddings, and all you blandly discuss is how your jobs are going.
If I really thought about it, how would I answer the following basic questions about you?
1. What are you passionate about? What are you working towards? What are you trying to achieve with your life? What gets you out of bed in the morning? What impact do you want to have on the world? What do you love?
2. What is your hobby? How do you relax? What makes you smile? What do you really do with yourself?
3. What is a random quirk you have? What is distinctly you? If I were describing you to someone, what would I say? “This is my friend Tina, and she decorates donuts to look like celebrities.” “This is Rodney, and he has conclusive proof that the moon-landing was fake.” “This is Gertrude, and she can name 100 different types of lemon.”
4. If you could experience one day of your life again, which would it be? What is your favorite memory? What day do you think about often, and how did it change your life?
5. What is my favorite thing about you? Do I know you well enough to have a favorite thing about you? Can I say more about you than “she’s/he’s great”? What specifically endears you to me.
If I can’t answer all 5 of these things about you then we need to talk more.
Dig. Discover. Engage. Explore. Connect.
Why is frequent conversation so necessary for a relationship? And what are the consequences of ignoring it?
Impacting the world starts by impacting those around us. What are the practical ways we do this every day?
How do you impact the world? What gives your life meaning & purpose? How can you make your mark?
We tend to spend more time with our workmates than anyone else. Annoying habits can creep in easily. How can you go from being a potentially irritating co-worker to being a friend?
Are you forgetting to share your life with the one you share your life with?
Does sarcasm enchance a conversation or is it detrimental?
While Google is often handy, in the course of our social conversations it can take something away.
It’s perfectly human to have been wrong. What should we do with outdated points of view?
This trick will serve you well… but not for long.
10 dos & don’ts that will ensure you aren’t the annoying voice in a conversation.